Thursday, June 21, 2012

Climb on


They say when you fall off the wagon you have to get up and climb back on.  That’s what yesterday felt like.  I didn’t fall off the wagon, per say, I was pushed off by this nasty cold that took me out of the gym for three days.  The wagon kept rolling and really didn’t want to wait for me but I chased it down and jumped on anyway.  Why?  Why not enjoy the rest with the excuse of being sick?  Because I felt crappier not being at the gym than I did at home blowing my nose.  I can’t tell you the last time I took three consecutive days off from workouts but I can tell you, I don’t like it! I felt like a heifer.  My body felt lethargic. My mind was sleepy, and it wasn’t just the Nyquil or antibiotics at work.  My body was yearning to sweat out some germs and although it wasn’t a graceful or terribly difficult workout last night, it was a workout, nonetheless, and it felt good!  I never thought being in the gym would feel like home but these days, it does.  I like my routine and the chaos that comes with my busy schedule.  The gym is part of that and when it’s missing, I don’t feel complete.  I know it sounds crazy to some of you but it’s true; working out makes me happy.  There, I said it.  It’s out there in blog-world for everyone to see. 

I’ve had a couple people lately tell me they get bored at the gym and ask for suggestions.  I admit, walking “in place” on a treadmill for an hour could probably drive most people crazy.  That’s why I suggest doing something like treading or mountain to make the time go faster.  If your gym has TV’s mounted on the elliptical, stationary bike or treadmill, take your headphones and go during an hour when your favorite show is on.  Take the iPod or mp3 player and jam out to a great workout playlist.  I’ve seen a lot of people with their Nooks or Kindles, reading books while they get their cardio in.  Not a bad idea to help pass the time and distract yourself from staring at the clock as the seconds tick by.  These days, if I’m at the gym, my iPad is in my hand.  I set my music app (Spotify) on shuffle, pull up my Sudoku puzzles or some other game and off I go.  I will set the course on the treadmill to random so that the incline varies throughout, put the speed at a brisk clip and plug in the headphones.  Before I know it, an hour has quickly gone by and I’ve gone a few miles, all while singing along, in my head, of course, so I don’t torture those around me.  It’s a wonderful distraction and has made a huge difference in my attitude while spending hours at the gym.  When I was at Biggest Loser Resort I saw people streaming movies or TV shows on their tablets or mobile devices too.  Anything that keeps you moving and helps the time pass quickly is perfect!  Yes, I realize I’m probably promoting attention deficit disorder but that’s not really the point here.  Do you have a friend you haven’t talked to in a while and you need to call and catch up with?  Call them and chat away, as long as they don’t mind a little huffing and puffing in their ear.  Or better yet, take a friend with you if you can.  If you’re not a fan of technology, take a book or a word find.  Most workout facilities have a magazine rack near the cardio section too.  Jot down your grocery or to-do list.  Browse Pinterest or Facebook.   Think through a project for work.  Come up with key points for your next blog entry in your head.  Do ANYTHING but stare at the time on the machine.  In fact, cover that up! Use a towel, magazine or whatever you have handy.  Staring at the clock will only make it feel like more of a chore and working out isn’t a chore! It’s a choice!  And a wonderful one at that. 

It’s Thursday which means treading and cardio circuit tonight.  I’m flying solo as Molly has a Nada’s show to go to, so you know I will be working out with my pal the iPad.  I think we will call him Ignatius, after my great grandpa.  Yes!  Iggy the iPad and I will be jamming out tonight at Aspen.  What will you be doing? No matter what your workout is tonight, remember to shine and be brilliant.  You deserve it.  

Iggy the iPad

1 comment:

The Hageman Haus said...

Keep up the good work...as always!