Thursday, February 23, 2012

Doing it Iowa style

People say that Iowa is boring.  I know this because I used to say it all the time.  I don’t know if it’s wiser with age or the journey to a healthier Lyndee but I have learned that there is plenty to do in Iowa.  Especially if one is looking for fun, healthy activities.  Don’t believe me?  Case in point…
RAGBRAI
Living History Farms Run
Urban Assault bike ride
Iowa Sports Foundation Mud Run
Drake Relays
Des Moines Marathon
Dam to Dam
Red Flannel Run
Warrior Dash
Race for the Cure

Those are just around Des Moines but throughout the state, the list goes on and on.  If you’re like me you had no idea of all the things you could find to do that would involve being active and having fun.  My idea of active in previous summers was sitting on a tube, floating down the river with a cold drink in my hand.  The wonderful news is you don’t have to pay to do an organized activity either if that’s not your cup of tea.  Iowa has thousands of miles of bike and walking trails!  What else?  Amazing parks, rivers, lakes and open area to frolic about in.  Personally, I’m a huge fan of Gray’s Lake! Being active can be playing catch at the park with your kids, throwing together a game of kickball in the empty neighborhood lot, riding your bike to the store down the street.  Anything that gets you up and moving.  Remember, no matter how slow you are going, you’re still lapping everyone that is on the couch!!

If you are looking for some organized activities, reach out to your local parks and rec and see what kind of classes and leagues they offer.  Start a walking group with friends or family.  And check out http://www.fitnesssports.com/ for tons of listing of races, triathlons and fun for all ages and activity levels.  For me, completely a 5K wasn’t about winning the race.  I just wanted to finish! And each time I try to better my personal race time.  Also, many 5K’s offer 1 mile fun run’s or walks too.  The possibilities are only limited by your lack of effort.  Take advantage of all the things that Iowa has to offer in helping you find a healthier you. 

No comments: