Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Olympic Gold

It's a new week! Hooray for that.  And it's supposed to be in the 40's a few days this week so double hooray for some sunshine and decent weather.  I hope you can get out and enjoy it.  I continue to do well in the step challenge. My fitbit stats were down slightly this week but still good.
I've been watching a lot of Olympics this week.  And it's helped my motivation.  No, I'll never snowboard a half pipe or attempt to break my leg by lacing up ice skates, but I love to watch these athletes. I think about all the sacrifice and dedication they have put in for years for these small moments in time and a chance at glory. It's magnificent and inspiring to me. I adore Lolo Jones. She is strong, real and resilient and a fighter with such heart and bravery. And if you follow her on Twitter, you know she's pretty dang funny too.  I realize Olympians train for this as a job but it really puts things into perspective as far as workouts go.  To hear someone say they can't find 30 or 60 minutes a day to workout, fight for their health and be the best that they can be is sad to me.  I hear it all too often how people don't have time.  Be honest when you make that statement: you don't MAKE time.  I know that sounds harsh but it is the cold hard truth. I've been there. There are plenty of days it would be easier to sit on the couch and watch TV. But I view TV as a luxury, not a necessity.  Once I have completed my tasks for the day- work, cleaning, workouts, errands, whatever it may be, then I will reward myself with some time to sit and relax.

Before you start making any other excuses...it doesn't matter if you have a gym membership, walking outside is free.  Running stairs in your house, doing wall squats and shadowboxing is free. I know very few people that don't have a gaming system of some sort. There are plenty of workout games or at home DVD's or workout ideas on Pinterest and all over the internet you can do from the comfort of your living room. Just stop making excuses.
If you're not committed to being healthy, that's fine too. But admit that.  Don't fool yourself or others around you into thinking that this is important to you if it's not.  Just be honest. Don't waste your money on the gimmicks or your breath on excuses.  Some days will be easier than others. Some days will down right suck. But the feeling of accomplishment and pride once you have committed will carry you through the crappy days.

No comments: