Friday, May 11, 2012

Teamwork wins


I know I’ve talked on here before about how much I love working for The Principal Financial Group.  I seriously have the best co-workers on the planet.  It’s the little things that make your job special and bring happiness.  While I was gone I received many cards and letters of encouragement from my department.  It was great to help me get through the long days of workouts and lonely nights in my cabin.  But the support has not stopped just because I’ve returned to reality.  My first day back I found my cubicle decorated, carrots and celery on the snack table, a giant white board with tons of encouraging messages for me next to my desk and a card and gift certificate for a massage on my keyboard.  Can you say amazing?  Yep!  Those gestures were not at all necessary but so heartwarming.  In a team meeting we discussed our team outing for this summer.  Instead of doing a lunch or a food day like so many times before, my team decided we should do something active in support of my journey.  Some ideas brought to the table were a bike ride/treasure hunt through downtown, canoeing and heading out to Sleepy Hollow for sand volleyball, go karts and mini golf.  It made me so happy to see these options and know that we can be active and have a great team building experience that isn’t centered around food. 



Yesterday I had the honor of helping lead one of the groups for the monthly run/walks that Principal has set up for its employees as part of the road race challenge.  It was a perfect day and we had a lot of employees show up for our first outing.  There were two groups that ran three miles and then a large group of walkers that did a mile and a half.  I can’t think of a better way to spend a lunch on a gorgeous spring day.  I’m looking forward to helping with these each month.  The thing is, you don’t have to wait for your company to organize events like this.  I mean, certainly bring up your ideas to them and see if they will support your fitness goals but do not be discouraged if they don’t.  Make your own! Gather a few friends and start your own daily or weekly walk groups!  Enjoy the fresh air, some good conversation, activity and unchain yourself from your desk for a little bit to break up your day.  I promise it will feel great.  If a food day is around the corner, pow wow some healthy ideas with co-workers so that you can still feel like you’re participating but not blow your daily calories away.  If you need ideas let me know and I will send them to you! If your company offers a gym, utilize it! I’m a huge fan of group fitness classes and I love doing Zumba over lunch.  Your workouts can and should be fun! 
    
Speaking of fun…there’s a blog that the Biggest Loser faithful follow on phillyburbs.com that talks about all things Biggest Loser.  Since there isn’t going to be a fall season this year, the writer, Jen, decided to feature some inspirational stories of people losing it at home on their own.  Today’s article is about my best friend and workout buddy for life, Molly!!!  Go check it out and show her some love.  I am so proud of and inspired by her every single day.  Motivate, dominate, destroy, my friend. 

No comments: